Dr. Doan Thi Thanh Thuy is a Post-Doctoral Fellow in Environmental Sustainability at the Natural Capital Management Project (NCMP), Fulbright School of Public Policy and Management, Fulbright University Vietnam. Her research spans a wide range of environmental, energy, and development economics. She has two primary research areas. One is the application of empirical methods to analyze and evaluate energy conservation policy, impacts of climate changes, and vulnerable population well-being. The other employs a linear programming model to optimize sustainable energy mix for decarbonization pathways.
Before joining FSPPM, Dr. Thuy was a full-time lecturer in Economics at Ho Chi Minh City Open University started in 2013. She also served as a credit specialist at the Bank for Investment and Development of Vietnam in 2008 - 2011 and as a project development specialist at Saigon General Service Corporation Vietnam in 2007 - 2008.
Dr. Thuy holds a Ph.D. in Economics from the University of Hawaii at Manoa, U.S., and a Master's in Public Policy from the Vietnam Fulbright Economics Teaching Program.
- Public Economics
- Mathematics for Economics
- Trade Policy
Works in Progress/Ongoing Projects
- Agricultural transformation in Mekong River Delta (expected 2022, with multiple authors at Can Tho University and Mekong Natural Capital Management Project, FSPPM)
- Mekong Natural Capital Management Project (with Vu Thanh Tu Anh, Le Viet Phu, Tran Anh Thong, and Ha Quang Hung).
- Natural gas storage and transportation responses to temperature variation (with Michael J. Roberts.)
- Effects of temperature on the allocation of time
- Do electricity consumers respond to prices or peers? Evidence from a novel electricity billing tournament.
- “Are we building too much natural gas pipeline? A comparison of actual US expansion of pipeline to an optimized model of the interstate network”, 2022, with Matthias Fripp and Michael J. Roberts. Available at https://uhero.hawaii.edu/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/UHEROwp2202.pdf
- Essays on Impacts of Climate, Energy Conservation Policy, and Optimal Energy Transition, PhD Dissertation, 2022.
- Well-being and Housing Market Indicators in Hawaii, 2019, Technical report, with Philip Garboden.
- Inequalities between peri-urban and urban areas in urbanization process of Ho Chi Minh city: an urban political-ecology perspective, with Tran Tu Van Anh et al., 2018, Ho Chi Minh City Open University Journal of Science, 8(1), pp. 48-67. Available at https://journalofscience.ou.edu.vn/index.php/soci-en/article/view/287
- Evaluating the Debt Burden on Non-financial Listed Companies in Vietnam, “From analysis to dialogue: Collections of public policy works”, Social Sciences Publishing House, 2015 (published in Vietnamese).
- “The Impact of Inward FDI on Host Countries: Literature Review and The Case of Chinese FDI into Vietnam”, Understanding Vietnam’s economy through indexes” program, 2016, Ho Chi Minh City Open University.
- On Vietnam Exporting: Geographical Specialization and The Trade Competition with China, “Understanding Vietnam’s economy through indexes” program, 2015, with Nguyen Duc Vinh, Ho Chi Minh City Open University.
- Growth – Poverty – Income Inequality presented through the Overall and Decomposition Growth Elasticity of Poverty in the 2002 - 2010 period, “Understanding Vietnam’s economy through indexes” program, 2014, Ho Chi Minh City Open University.
- “Are we building too much natural gas pipeline? A comparison of actual US expansion of pipeline to an optimized model of the interstate network”, presented at Midwest Economics Association annual meeting 2022, Minnesota U.S.
- “Do electricity consumers respond to prices or peers? Evidence from a novel electricity billing tournament”, presented at 96th Annual Conference, Western Economics Association International, 2021, virtual.
- “Effects of temperature on the allocation of time”, presented at Asian and Australasian Society of Labour Economics 2018 Conference, South Korea.
- 2020 Berkeley/Sloan Summer School in Environmental and Energy Economics, 2020, virtual.
- Erasmus+ Knowledge Networks of Transdisciplinary Studies Summer School and Field Trip, Thailand, 2018
- IFREE's Annual Visiting Graduate Student Workshop in Experimental Economics, 2018, Chapman University – California U.S.