Nguyen Xuan Thanh has twenty years of experience in teaching, designing, and implementing development policies in finance and public investment. At Fulbright University Vietnam, Thanh teaches at the Fulbright School of Public Policy and Management. Nguyen Xuan Thanh also is a senior fellow at the Ash Center for Democratic Governance and Innovation, Harvard Kennedy School (HKS). Prior to joining the Fulbright School, Thanh served as an official in the municipal government of Ho Chi Minh City.
Thanh's research interests are banking, public investment, and infrastructure development. His recent and ongoing research projects include financing infrastructure development and cross-ownership in Vietnam's banking sector.
At the Fulbright School, Thanh teaches courses on Introduction to Public Policy, Local and Regional Development, Appraisal of Public Investment, and Leadership in the Public Sector. He also teaches regularly in the Fulbright School's executive education and participate in policy dialogues with public sector agencies in Vietnam and Southeast Asia.
Thanh earned a B.A. (hons) in economics from the University of New Delhi, an M.S. in economics in finance from the University of Warwick, and an M.P.A. from Harvard University.
- Introduction to Public Policy
- Regional and Local Development
- Appraisal of Public Investment
- Restructuring of Commercial Banks in Vietnam
- Nguyen Xuan Thanh (2017). Financing Infrastructure Development in Ho Chi Minh City, Policy Paper for Ho Chi Minh City Peoples' Committee, June 2017.
- Nguyen Xuan Thanh (2016). Resolution of Non-Performing Loans in Vietnam's Banking Sector, FETP Research Paper, December 2016.
- Nguyen Xuan Thanh (2016). Vietnam's Commercial Banks: From the Policy Changes during 2006-2010 to the Restructuring Efforts during 2011-2015, FETP Research Paper, February 2016.
- Nguyen Xuan Thanh (2014). Cross-Ownership in Vietnam's Banking Sector, FETP Research Paper, February 2014.
- Nguyen Xuan Thanh (2011). Ho Chi Minh City Sea Port Relocation: A Case Study of Institutional Fragmentation, Policy Research Paper, Work Bank Vietnam, co-authored with Jonathan Pincus, November 2011.
- Nguyen Xuan Thanh (2010). Ho Chi Minh City: The Challenges of Growth, co-authored with David Dapice and Jose A.Gomez-Ibanez, UNDP – Harvard Policy Dialogue Papers "Series on Vietnam's WTO Accession and International Competitiveness Research", 2010.
- Nguyen Xuan Thanh (2010). Vietnam's Infrastructure Constraints, UNDP – Harvard Policy Dialogue Papers "Series on Vietnam's WTO Accession and International Competitiveness Research", 2010.
Academic Conferences & Workshops
- Presentation and Panel Moderation on Clean Energy Challenges, Vietnam Economic Forum 2018, Central Economic Commission, Hanoi, January 2018.
- Presentation and Panel Moderation on Inclusive Growth and Smart Infrastructure, World Economic Forum ASEAN 2017, May 2017.
- Presentation on Regional Collaboration: From International Experience to the Case for Vietnam, International Conference on Regional Linkage in Economic Restructuring and Growth Model Change in Vietnam, Hanoi, April 2016.