Mekong – US Partnership Scholarship for Master in Public Policy – Policy Analysis
MPP Admission Announcement in Laos Language
Whom we look for: Officials working in the organizations of Laos Government and holding Laos nationality.
- A bachelor's degree or an equivalence from a recognized institution (from any majors and training modes) with good rank or higher. Candidates holding a bachelor’s degree which are not ranked as good or higher will be required at least 2 years of full-time working experience.*
- English proficiency equivalent to IELTS 5.5
- Fluency in Vietnamese
- Eligibility to stay in Vietnam for at least 15 months
* For those who did not graduate with an economics or management major are required to complete the foundational courses as required by the Vietnamese Ministry of Education and Training.
Number of enrolments for Cohort 2023-2025: 10 students from Laos
Scholarship: Admitted students are granted a full scholarship by the U.S. Department of State, including:
- 100% Tuition fee for MPP – Policy Analysis
- Housing & meal stipend of US$500/month for 15 months in Vietnam
- Settlement stipend of US$250
- One round trip airfare to HCMC
- Visa application for maximum of 2 years
- Medical insurance for maximum of 2 years
- A cultural briefing trip during the Orientation period
- Attend an Alumni engagement event, and series of policy seminars, workshops at Fulbright.
Selection format: Interview
English entrance requirement: Those submitting one of the following documents will meet the English requirement (valid within 2 years until the application deadline):
- Duolingo English Test score of at least 90; or IELST score of at least 5.5; or iBT TOELF of at least 46; or TOEIC, in which: listening at least 275 – reading at least 275 – Speaking at least 120 – writing at least 120; or
- B2 English certificates issued by these institutions: University of Languages and International Studies – Vietnam National University Hanoi; Da Nang University of Foreign Languages; Hue University – University of Foreign Languages; Ho Chi Minh City University of Education; Hanoi University of Pedagogy; Ha Noi University; Thai Nguyen University; Can Tho University; Vinh University; People's Security Academy; Saigon University; Banking University Ho Chi Minh city; Tra Vinh University; Van Lang University; Quy Nhon University; Tay Nguyen University; Industrial University of Ho Chi Minh City; Academy of Journalism and Communication; Academy of Science and Military; Economic and Finance University Ho Chi Minh City; Social sciences and Humanity – National University Ho Chi Minh City; People’s Police Academy; Hanoi University of Science and Technology; North of Can Tho University; Foreign Trade University; or
- Bachelor's or master's degree in English language; or
- Bachelor's or master's degree granted by an English-speaking institution (no interpretation).
- Applicants complete & submit the online application on time
- Applicants who have qualified applications will be invited to admission interview in English (conducted online).
- Result released
Criteria for selection:
- Quality of personal essay
- Interview result
- Social contribution potential
About Mekong – U.S. Partnership Program
In addition to our core public policy expertise serving the Vietnamese government, the Fulbright School of Public Policy and Management (Fulbright School) has demonstrated a strategic and long-standing track record and commitment to addressing key challenges of the Lower Mekong region through a variety of projects and initiatives such as Lower Mekong Public Policy Initiative (LMPPI) to bring policy makers from Lower Mekong countries together to promote mutual learning and trust, and stimulate dialogue on public policies; and the Natural Capital Management Program (NCMP), our first program initiative of 2021-2022 is to address critical issues and policy responses in the Mekong River Delta region.
Funded by the US Government for 5 years until 2026, the MUSP MPP-PA program will bring 20 rising young politicians from Laos to attend Fulbright School of Public Policy and Management at Fulbright University Vietnam for a master’s degree in Public Policy - Policy Analysis. Through classes, seminars, and cultural activities, these candidates will be exposed to modern policy frameworks and approaches inspired by top institutions in the US. This program is a part of efforts to reinforce trust between Lower Mekong countries and the United States, to ensure regional unity and stability despite rising geographical tensions.
The Master in Public Policy (MPP) program is the first and the only full-time program in Vietnam that offers a distinctive American-standard approach to learning about public policy, and leadership and management. The MPP program was initially inspired by the program offered by the Harvard Kennedy School, later incorporated the most updated methods in public policy education, and finally adjusted to accommodate the complex Vietnamese context & Lower Mekong countries.
It is a transformative opportunity for current and future leaders with a commitment to public service. Taught by outstanding academics as well as expert practitioners, students of the MPP program with a concentration in Policy Analysis (MPP-PA) will be uniquely positioned to develop academic knowledge and professional skills to analyze, design, implement and evaluate even the most complex public policy challenges. After completing this full-time, 15-month program, students will receive a master’s degree in Public Policy, with a concentration in Policy Analysis, awarded by the Provost of Fulbright University Vietnam.