Mekong – US Partnership Scholarship for Master in Public Policy – Policy Analysis
Whom we look for: Policy makers, politicians, and government officials from Laos PDR who have.
- A bachelor’s degree* and at least two (02) years’ experience of working full time.
- English proficiency equivalent to IELTS 5.5
- Fluency in Vietnamese
- Eligibility to stay in Vietnam for at least 15 months
* For those who did not graduate with an economics or management major are required to complete the foundational courses as required by the Vietnamese Ministry of Education and Training.
Number of enrolments for Cohort 2022-2024: 6 students from Laos
Scholarship: Admitted students are granted a full scholarship by the U.S. Department of State, including:
- 100% Tuition fee for MPP – Policy Analysis (excluding elective course at Harvard or Oxford University)
- Housing & meal stipend of US$500/month for 15 months in Vietnam
- Settlement stipend of US$250
- One round trip airfare to HCMC
- Visa application for maximum of 2 years
- Medical insurance for maximum of 2 years
- A cultural briefing trip during the Orientation period
- Attend an Alumni engagement event, and series of policy seminars, workshops at Fulbright.
Selection format: Interview and Entrance Examination
- Quantitative skill (60 minutes) – In Vietnamese
- English test (60 minutes) – Reading & Writing skills
English entrance exam exemption: Those submitting one of the following documents are exempted from the English entrance exam (valid within 2 years from the application deadline):
- IELTS score of at least 5.5; iBT TOEFL of at least 61; TOEIC (L-R) of at least 600; or
- B2 English certificates issued by these institutions: University of Languages and International Studies – Vietnam National University Hanoi; Da Nang University of Foreign Languages; Hue University – University of Foreign Languages; Ho Chi Minh City University of Education; Hanoi University of Pedagogy; Ha Noi University; Thai Nguyen University; Can Tho University; Vinh University; People's Security Academy; Saigon University; Banking University Ho Chi Minh city; Tra Vinh University; Van Lang University; Quy Nhon University; Tay Nguyen University; Industrial University of Ho Chi Minh City; Academy of Journalism and Communication; HCMC University of Food Industry; Military Science Academy; Trade University; or
- Bachelor's degree or master's degree in English or English studies; or
- Bachelor's or master's degree granted by an English-speaking institution (no interpretation)
Applicants without an English certificate will attend the English exam according to the admission schedule.
Tentative Exam location: in Laos PDR
- Applicants complete & submit the online application on time
- Applicants who have qualified applications will be invited to admission interview in English (conducted either online or face-to-face depending on COVID-19 situation at the given time).
- Applicants who pass the admission interview will be invited to the entrance exams.
- Result released
Criteria for selection:
- Quality of personal essay
- Interview result
- Test results: Minimum score of 50% in each test
- Social contribution potential
About Mekong – U.S. Partnership Program
In addition to our core public policy expertise serving the Vietnamese government, the Fulbright School of Public Policy and Management (Fulbright School) has demonstrated a strategic and long-standing track record and commitment to addressing key challenges of the Lower Mekong region through a variety of projects and initiatives such as Lower Mekong Public Policy Initiative (LMPPI) to bring policy makers from Lower Mekong countries together to promote mutual learning and trust, and stimulate dialogue on public policies; and the Natural Capital Management Program (NCMP), our first program initiative of 2021-2022 is to address critical issues and policy responses in the Mekong River Delta region.
Funded by the US Government for 5 years until 2026, the MUSP MPP-PA program will bring 20 rising young politicians from Laos to attend Fulbright School of Public Policy and Management at Fulbright University Vietnam for a master’s degree in Public Policy - Policy Analysis. Through classes, seminars, and cultural activities, these candidates will be exposed to modern policy frameworks and approaches inspired by top institutions in the US. This program is a part of efforts to reinforce trust between Lower Mekong countries and the United States, to ensure regional unity and stability despite rising geographical tensions.
The Master in Public Policy (MPP) program is the first and the only full-time program in Vietnam that offers a distinctive American-standard approach to learning about public policy, and leadership and management. The MPP program was initially inspired by the program offered by the Harvard Kennedy School, later incorporated the most updated methods in public policy education, and finally adjusted to accommodate the complex Vietnamese context & Lower Mekong countries.
It is a transformative opportunity for current and future leaders with a commitment to public service. Taught by outstanding academics as well as expert practitioners, students of the MPP program with a concentration in Policy Analysis (MPP-PA) will be uniquely positioned to develop academic knowledge and professional skills to analyze, design, implement and evaluate even the most complex public policy challenges. After completing this full-time, 15-month program, students will receive a master’s degree in Public Policy, with a concentration in Policy Analysis, awarded by the Provost of Fulbright University Vietnam.