Dr. Bae Yooil is a lecturer at Fulbright School of Public Policy and Management, Fulbright University Vietnam. Before he joined FSPPM in January 2018, he worked at Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy at National University of Singapore as a Postdoctoral Fellow (2007-2008) and School of Social Sciences at Singapore Management University as an Assistant Professor (2008-2017).
Dr. Bae's main research and teaching area include comparative politics and public policy, public management, urban and regional political economy, and international development cooperation. His academic papers on East Asian decentralization, urban growth politics, and development have appeared in high-ranked academic journals such as International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Democratization, Cities, Habitat International, Journal of International Relations and Development, Urban Affairs Review and so forth. He is the co-author of two books, a forthcoming book from the most prestigious Comparative Politics series of Cambridge University Press, Multilevel of Democracy: How Local Institutions and Civil Society Shape the Modern State (January 2020) and Mega-Events and Mega-Ambitions: South Korea's Rise and the Strategic Use of the Big Four Events (Palgrave Macmillan, 2017). He also published a monograph, South Korea's Dual Local Democracy (Moonwoo-Sa, 2018), which won the Best Book Prize by the Korean Association for Local Government Studies (2019). Dr. Bae also won the Best Conference Paper by the Korean Studies Association Australasia in 2015.
He has also served as an advisor or a cluster associate to The National Unification Advisory Council, Incheon Development Institute, and Asian Urbanism Cluster at Asia Research Institute (NUS) and reviewed many academic journal papers as an ad hoc reviewer. He is also a member of Asian Civil Society Network.
Dr. Bae is a native Korean and received his Master of Public Administration from Korea University (2000) and Ph.D. in Political Science from the University of Southern California (2007).
- Public Management
- Development Policy
- "The Making of Gangnam: Social Construction of the Rich and Inequality in South Korea." (with Yoo-min Joo).
- "Socialized Soft Power: Korea's Knowledge Diplomacy for Global Development Consensus." (with Yong Wook Lee).
- "Policy Decision and Knowledge Crisis: Populism, Framing, and the Politics of Knowledge in South Korea.
- "South Korea's Dual Local Democracy: Ideas, Civic Traditions, and the Development of Subnational Politics (Book Project).
- "Developmental Cooperation, Identification, and Central-Local Relationship after Reunification in Korean Peninsula."
- 2018 (forthcoming). Jefferey M. Sellers, Anders Lidström and Yooil Bae. The Three Worlds of Multilevel Democracy: Local Linkages, Civil Society and the Development of the Modern State.
- 2017. Yu-Min Joo, Yooil Bae and Eva Kassens-Noor. Mega-Events and Mega Ambition: The Rise of South Korea and the Strategic Use of Big Four Events. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- 2017. Yooil Bae. "South Korea's Civil Society," in Akihiro Ogawa (ed.), Handbook of Civil Society in Asia. London: Routledge.
- 2016. Yooil Bae and Yu-Min Joo. "Pathways to Meet Critical Success Factors for Local PPPs: The Cases of Urban Transport Infrastructure in Korean Cities." Cities 53(April): 35-42.
- 2016. Yooil Bae, Yu-Min Joo, and Soh-Yeon Won. "Decentralization and Collaborative Disaster Governance: Evidence from South Korea." Habitat International 52: 50-56.
- 2016. Yooil Bae. "Ideas, Interests and Practical Authority in Reform Politics: Decentralization in South Korea in 2000s." Asian Journal of Political Science 24(1): 63-86 DOI: 10.1080/02185377.2015.1120678.
- 2015. Heejin Han and Yooil Bae. "Reality Revealed: U.S. Military Bases, Environmental Impact, and Civil Society in South Korea," in Edwin A. Martini (ed.), Providing Grounds: Military Bases, Weapon Testing, and the Environmental Impact of American Empire. Seattle: University of Washington Press.
- 2013. Yooil Bae. "Decentralized Urban Governance and Environmental Collaboration in South Korea: the Case of Hyundai City." Pacific Affairs: An International Review of Asia and the Pacific 86 (4): 759-783.
- 2013. Yooil Bae and Sunhyuk Kim. "Civil Society and Local Activism in South Korea's Local Democratization." Democratization 20 (2): 260-86.
- 2012. Yooil Bae. "Governing Cities without States? Rethinking Urban Political Theories in Asia." In Mark Jayne et al. (eds.), Urban Theory Beyond the 'West': A World of Cities. Routledge: London, p.95-110.
Academic Conferences & Workshops
- "Collective Identity and Northeast Asian Security." Invited Presentation, University of Kent, United Kingdom, 17, July, 2017.
- "Challenges of Korean Studies: Civil Society Before and After." Invited Presentation, University of Helsinki, Finland, 22 March, 2017.
- "South Korea's Civil Society: Before and After Democratization." Civil Society in Asia Conference, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia, February 2-3, 2017.
- "Central-local Relations and Regional Economic Disparity in North Korea: From an International Development Cooperation Perspective." Korean Society for Public Administration International Conference, June 26-8, 2016.
- "The Making of Gangnam: Social Construction of the Rich and Social Inequality in South Korea." 9th Biennial Korean Studies Association Australasia Conference, Adelaide, Australia, November 25-28, 2015.
- "Local Democratization and Public-Private Partnerships in South Korea: Opportunities and Challenges. Midwest Political Science Association Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, U.S.A., April 16-9, 2015.
- "Caught in between Decentralization and (Re)Centralization: Environmental Disaster Management in South Korea from a Multilevel Perspective. Workshop on Decentralization and Disaster Governance in Urbanizing Asia, Asia Research Institute, National University of Singapore, March 5-6, 2015.
- "Local democratization and Political Participation in South Korea." Comparative Politics Section of the American Political Science Association (APSA) Group on Comparative Urban Politics Short Course, Woodrow Wilson Center, Washington D.C., U.S.A., August 27th, 2014.
- "Crisis after Decentralization: Local Democracy, PPPs, and Mega Policy Failure in South Korea," Research on Policy Failure Workshop. National University of Singapore, February 19-20, 2014.
- "Identity and Interest in Korea's Middle Power Diplomacy." 45th Anniversary of Institute of Korean Studies Conference, October 28-9, 2013.