Dr. Thai-Ha Le is the Director of Research and a Senior Faculty member of Fulbright School of Public Policy and Management, Fulbright University Vietnam. She holds Bachelor of Arts (Hons) and PhD in Economics from Nanyang Technological University, Singapore where she completed her PhD study within two years. Prior to joining Fulbright University Vietnam, Dr. Le worked at RMIT University Vietnam as a tenured Senior Lecturer for 7 years. Her primary research fields include Energy Economics, Environmental Economics and Applied Economics.
Dr. Le is an active researcher who has published about 30 scholarly research articles in international and peer reviewed journals including many in top-field journals. She has consulted for Asian Development Bank (ADB) Headquarters, ADB Institute and Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
Dr. Le is also a recipient of multiple competitive research grants and fellowships such as The Pacific Trade and Development (PAFTAD) Fellowship for Young Scholars in 2013, the Public Diplomacy Federal Assistance Award by The U.S. Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam's Public Affairs Section in 2018 and the National Foundation for Science and Technology Development (NAFOSTED) funds for research in social sciences and humanities in 2019 as the principal investigator.
Dr. Le holds several editorial roles including being an Associate Editor for Journal of Economic Development, sponsored by National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF), an Assistant Editor for Singapore Economic Review, one of the oldest and most respected economics journals in the Asia-Pacific region and an Editorial Board member for "Springer New Monograph Series, New Frontiers in Regional Science: Asian Perspectives" by Springer Nature.
Macroeconomics: Theories and Policy Applications
Microeconomics for Public Policy
Trade Theory and Policy
Selected current research
- Le Thai-Ha, Nguyen Canh, Su Thanh, & Binh Tran-Nam, "The Kuznets Curve for Export diversification and Income Inequality: Evidence from a global sample", Economic Analysis and Policy (Scopus Q1), Revise and Resubmit (Minor Revision).
- Le Thai-Ha, Chang Youngho, & Park Donghyun, "Governance, Environmental Vulnerability, and Pollutant Emissions: International Evidence", Energy Journal (SSCI, ABDC: A, Scopus Quartile: Q1), Revise and Resubmit.
- Le Thai-Ha, Park Donghyun, & Cynthia Petalcorin, "Performance comparison of state-owned enterprises versus private firms in selected emerging Asian countries", Emerging Markets Finance and Trade (SSCI, ABDC: B), Revise and Resubmit.
- Nguyen Canh, Le Thai-Ha, Su Thanh, & Christopher Schinckus, "Determinants of Agricultural Emissions: Evidence from a global sample", Environment & Development Economics (SSCI, Scopus Q1), Revise and Resubmit.
Selected Journal Articles
- Le Thai-Ha, Chang Youngho, & Park Donghyun, 2019, "Renewable and nonrenewable energy consumption, economic growth, and emissions: International evidence", Energy Journal (SSCI, Australian Business Deans Council (ABDC) Rank: A, Scopus Quartile: Q1), Forthcoming.
- Le Anh Tu, Le Thai-Ha, Liu Wai-Man, and Fong Kingsley Y., 2019, "Dynamic limit order placement strategies: survival analysis with a multiple-spell duration", Annals of Operations Research (ABDC: A, Scopus Quartile: Q1), Forthcoming.
- Le Thai-Ha, Chang Youngho, Taghizadeh-Hesary Farhad, & Naoyuki Yoshino, 2019, "Energy insecurity in Asia: a multi-dimensional analysis", Economic Modelling (SSCI, ABDC: A), Forthcoming.
- Nguyen Canh, Le Thai-Ha, & Su Thanh, 2019, "Economic policy uncertainty and credit growth: Evidence from a global sample", Research in International Business & Finance (Scopus Q1), Forthcoming.
- Le Thai-Ha, Chang Youngho, & Park Donghyun, 2019, "Economic Growth and Environmental Sustainability: Evidence from Asia", Empirical Economics (SSCI, ABDC Rank: A), Volume 57, Issue 4, pp 1129–1156.
- Le Thai-Ha & Nguyen Canh, 2019, "Is energy security a driver for economic growth? Evidence from a global sample", Energy Policy (SSCI, Scopus Q1, ABDC: A), 129, 436-451.
- Narayan Seema, Le Thai-Ha, & Srinanthakumar Sivagowry, 2018, "The influence of terrorism risk on stock market integration: Evidence from eight OECD countries", International Review of Financial Analysis, (SSCI, ABDC Rank: A), 58 (July 2018), 247-259.
- Le Thai Ha & Tran-Nam Binh, 2018, "Relative Costs and FDI: Why did Vietnam forge so far ahead?", Economic Analysis and Policy (Scopus Q1), 59, 1-13 (Lead Article).
- Le Thai-Ha & Binh Tran-Nam, 2018, "Trade liberalization, financial modernization and economic development: An empirical evidence from Asia-Pacific countries", Research in Economics (Scopus Q1), 72(2), 343-355.Baulch Bob, Do Duong & Le Thai-Ha, 2018, "Solar Home Systems in Ho Chi Minh City: A promising technology whose time has not yet come", Renewable Energy (Scopus Q1), 118, 245-256.
- Le Thai-Ha, Chang Youngho & Park Donghyun, 2017, "Energy demand convergence in APEC: an empirical analysis", Energy Economics (SSCI, Scopus Q1, ABDC Rank: A*), 65(C), 32-41.
- Le Thai-Ha & Chang Youngho, 2016, "Dynamics between strategic commodities and financial variables: Evidence from Japan". Resources Policy (SSCI, Scopus Q1), 50(C), 1-9 (Lead Article).Le Thai-Ha, Chang Youngho & Park Donghyun, 2016, "Trade openness and environmental quality: International evidence". Energy Policy (SSCI, Scopus Q1, ABDC Rank: A), 92, 45-55.
- Le Thai-Ha, 2016, "Dynamics between energy, output, openness, and financial development: Evidence from Sub-Saharan African countries". Applied Economics (SSCI, ABDC Rank: A), 48(10), 914-933.
- Le Thai-Ha, Kim Jungsuk & Lee Min Soo, 2015, "Institutional Quality, Trade Openness, and Financial Sector Development in Asia: An Empirical Investigation". Emerging Markets Finance and Trade (SSCI, ABDC Rank: B), 52 (5), 1047-1059.
- Le Thai-Ha & Chang Youngho, 2015, "Oil Price Shocks and Stock Market Performance: Do Nature of Shocks and Economies Matter?". Energy Economics (SSCI, Scopus Q1, ABDC Rank: A*), 51, 261-274.
- Le Thai-Ha, 2015, "Do soaring global oil prices heat up the housing market? Evidence from Malaysia". Economics, the Open Access and Open- Assessment E-Journal (SSCI, ABDC Rank: B), 9, 1-30. Le Thai-Ha & Chang Youngho, 2013, "Oil price shocks and trade imbalances", Energy Economics (SSCI, Scopus Q1, ABDC Rank: A*), 36(C), 78-96.
Book and Book Chapters
- Naoyuki Yoshino, Taghizadeh-Hesary Farhad, Chang Youngho & Le Thai-Ha (Eds.), Energy Insecurity in Asia: Challenges, Solutions and Renewable Energy, Asian Development Bank Institute (ADBI), Forthcoming.
- Le Thai-Ha, Taghizadeh-Hesary Farhad & Nguyen Canh, "Obstacles to doing business in Asia: Cross-country analysis for state-owned enterprises and private firms", In: Reforming state-owned enterprises in Asia: Challenges and Solutions, Eds: Naoyuki Yoshino, Chul Ju Kim, Taghizadeh-Hesary, Farhad and Kunmin Kim, ADBI and Springer, Forthcoming.
- Fang Zheng & Le Thai-Ha, 2019, "Cointegrating Relationship and Granger Causal Analysis in Energy Economics – A Practical Guidance", In: Handbook of Energy Finance: Theories, Practices and Simulations, Eds: Stéphane Goutte and Nguyen Duc Khuong, World Scientific Publishing.
Selected Academic Conferences and Workshops
- Asian Development Bank Institute (ADBI)'s research conference on "Economic Integration in Asia and Europe: Lessons and Recommended Policies", 2019 (Tokyo, Japan)
- Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA) 2nd Working Group Meeting on "Synergies of Energy Uses with Environment, Economic, and Social Development", 2019 (Bangkok, Thailand)
- 4th Energy Finance Conference on "Energy Insecurity in Asia", 2019 (Xian, China)
- 3rd Australasian Commodity Markets Conference, 2019 (Sydney, Australia)
- ADBI's Policy Workshop on "Reforming State-Owned Enterprises" in Asia, 2019 (Hanoi, Vietnam)
- ERIA 1st Working Group Meeting on "Synergies of Energy Uses with Environment, Economic, and Social Development", 2018 (Bangkok, Thailand)
- 9th FAERE (French Association of Environmental and Resource Economists) Winter Meeting, 2017 (Paris, France)
- Asian Development Bank Headquarters (ADB) Workshop on "Asian Development Outlook 2016-2018 – Update", 2016 (Manila, Philippines)
- Conference on Sustainable Metropolis: Population, Productivity and Parity, Nanyang Technological University (NTU), 2016 (Singapore)
- Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society (AARES) Workshop, Australian National University, 2016 (Canberra, Australia)
- UNU-WIDER (United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research) 30th Anniversary Conference, 2015 (Helsinki, Finland)
- International Conference on Challenges and Opportunities in Emerging Financial Markets, 2015 (Seoul, Korea)
- 14th International Convention of the East Asian Economic Association, 2014 (Bangkok, Thailand)
- 36th Pacific Trade and Development (PAFTAD) Conference, 2013 (Hong Kong)
- 25th Australasian Finance and Banking Conference (AFBC), 2012 (Sydney, Australia)13th International Convention of the East Asian Economic Association (EAEA) 2012 (Singapore)
- 4th Singapore Economic Review Conference (SERC) 2011 (Singapore).