PhD degrees in Economics from Boston College, US.
Member of the Prime Minister's Economic Advisory Group
Dr. Vu Thanh Tu Anh is Dean of Fulbright School of Public Policy and Management, Senior lecturer of Fulbright School and a research fellow at the Harvard Kennedy School. Dr. Tu Anh's primary research interests include economic development, industrial policy, and institutional economics. As the Fulbright School's Research Director, Dr. Tu Anh leads the Fulbright School's policy research and analysis efforts and coordinating research teams. He teaches regularly in the Fulbright School's executive education and policy dialogue initiatives with the Vietnamese government. Dr. Tu Anh also serves as a member of the Consultative Group of the National Assembly’s Economic Committee, member of the Scientific Committee at Vietnam National University. Dr Tu Anh frequently comments on economic policy issues in the Vietnamese media. Dr. Tu Anh received his PhD degrees in Economics from Boston College.
- July 2020 to present: Senior lecturer, Fulbright School of Public Policy and Management (Fulbright University Vietnam)
- March 2017 to June 2020: Dean, Fulbright School of Public Policy and Management (Fulbright University Vietnam)
- August 2004 to February 2017: Director of Research, Lecturer of Economics and Public Policy at The Fulbright Economics Teaching Program, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- September 2014 to August 2015: Princeton University (Oxford-Princeton Global Leaders Fellow)
- September 2013 to August 2014: University of Oxford (Oxford-Princeton Global Leaders Fellow)
- September 1996 to June 1998: Lecturer of Management, Hanoi University of Commerce, Vietnam.
- 2004: Ph.D., Economics, Boston College
Dissertation: "Essays on the Political Economy of Economic Reform in Vietnam"
Committee: Professors James E. Anderson, Richard J. Arnott, and Richard W. Tresch
- 1999-2001: M.A., Economics, Boston College
- 1990 - 1994: B.S., Economics and Management, Vietnam University of Commerce, Vietnam
- Professor Dwight H. Perkins, Harold Hitchings Burbank Professor of Political Economy, Emeritus in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Harvard University.
Address: Vietnam Program, Ash Center for Democratic Governance and Innovation, 124 Mt. Auburn Street, Suite 200 North Cambridge, MA 02138, USA.
- Professor Robert O. Keohane, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Princeton University
Address: Woodrow Wilson School, Princeton University, 408 Robertson Hall, Princeton, NJ 08544-1013, USA.
- Professor James E. Anderson, William B. Neenan S.J. Millennium Professor of Economics, Economics Department, Boston College.
Address: 140 Commonwealth Avenue, Massachusetts, MA 02467, USA.
HONORS, SCHOLARSHIPS, AND FELLOWSHIPS
- 2013-2015: Oxford-Princeton Global Leaders Fellowship
- 2012: Asean - Canada Research Partnership, Research Grant
- 2010: Ash Center for Democratic and Governance Innovation (Harvard Kennedy School), Senior Fellowship
- 2004: Boston College Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Best Doctoral Dissertation in Social Sciences
- 2002-2004: Boston College, Dissertation Fellowship
- 2003: Social Science Research Council (SSRC), Research Grant, Program in Applied Economics
- 2003: European School of New Institutional Economics (ESNIE), Workshop Fellowship
- 2002: Ronald Coase Institute, Workshop Fellowship
- 2002: Boston College, Excellence in Graduate and Professional Studies
- 2000: Institute of Humane Studies, Summer Fellowship
- 1999-2004: Boston College, Graduate Fellowship
- 1994: Vietnam's Ministry of Education and Training, National Prize for Students' Scientific Research,
University Head Master and University Scientific Committee, Honor Recognition Award
Research & Development Centre for Trading Technology, Special Prize
- 1993: W.U.S (Germany) and Ministry of Education and Training (Vietnam), National Award for Distinguished Student
- 1992: The Vietnamese National Youth League, National Award for Distinguished Students
- 1990-1994: Hanoi Business University, Scholarships
- 1990: High Distinction Award for the best performance in the university entrance exam in three academic subjects: Mathematics, Chemistry, and Physics.
- Member of the Prime Minister's Economic Advisory Group (2017-2021).
- Member of the Board of Experts of the National Assembly's Committee of Economic Affairs.
- Member of the Board of Experts of the National Financial Supervisory Commission.
- Member of the Ho Chi Minh City National University's Scientific Committee.
- Member of Phan Chau Trinh Cultural Foundation's Scientific Committee.
- Board member of The Viet Ecology Foundation, Oregon, USA.
- Board member of Vietnam Asia-Pacific Economic Center (VAPEC), Ho Chi Minh City.
- Review services for Regional Science and Urban Economics, The Economics of Transition, The Journal of East Asian Studies, The Policy Studies.
- Founder of The Vietnam Economic Society (the former name is The Network of Vietnamese Young Economists).
- Economic Columnist of The Saigon Economic Times.
- With Dwight H. Perkins (forthcoming 2021). "Explaining Vietnam's Economic Growth Experience," a book chapter in Dwight Perkins and Börje Ljunggren (eds), "Vietnam: State, Economy, Society in a Shifting Global Environment."
- With Tran-Thi Que-Giang (forthcoming 2020). "Vietnam: The Dilemma of Bringing Global Financial Standards to a Socialist Market Economy," Chapter 13 in Emily Jones (ed.) The Politics of Banking Regulation in Developing Countries: Risk and Reputation, Oxford University Press.
- With Do-Thien Anh-Tuan (forthcoming 2020). "Industrial Policy and the Evolution of Industrial Hubs in Vietnam," Chapter 37 in Arkebe Oqubay and Justin Lin (eds), The Oxford Handbook of Industrial Hubs and Economic Development, pp. 723-46, Oxford University Press.
- "Does WTO Accession Help Domestic Reform? The Political Economy of SOE Reform Backsliding in Vietnam," World Trade Review, Volume 16 (1), January 2017, pp. 85-109.
- "The Political Economy of Industrial Development in Vietnam: Impact of State-Business Relationship on Industrial Performance, 1986-2012," Chapter 9 in The Practice of Industrial Policy: Government–Business Coordination in Africa and East Asia, edited by John Page and Finn Tarp (2017), Oxford University Press.
- "Vietnam: Decentralization amidst Fragmentation", Journal of Southeast Asian Economies, Vol. 33 (2), August 2016, pp. 188-208.
- "A Tale of Two Regions: Northeast Asia versus Southeast Asia," The ASEAN-Canada Research Partnership, The RSIS Centre for Non-Traditional Security Studies in Nanyang Technological University, 2015.
- "WTO Accession and State-Owned Enterprise Reform in Vietnam." Annual Macroeconomic Report. National Assembly's Committee of Economic Affairs, 2014.
- Co-author in the report titled "Pyramidal and cross ownership of financial institutions and corporations in Vietnam: An assessment and recommendations," Framework paper prepared for the UNDP Project "Supporting the enhancement of consultation, appraisal and monitoring capacity of macroeconomic policies," managed by the National Assembly's Committee of Economic Affairs, 2013.
- Co-author in the report of The Institute of Public Policy and The Central Institute of Economic Management titled "The Competitiveness of the Textile and Garment Industry in Ho Chi Minh City, Binh Duong, and Dong Nai," published by The Beyond WTO Center, Ho Chi Minh City, 2013.
- With Edward S. Steinfeld and Laura Chirot, "Private Sector Development: An Alternative Target for Industrial Policy in Vietnam?" World Bank/KDI Project on the Developmental State, 2012.
- "Assessing the Sustainability of Vietnam's Public Debt," Vietnam National University (Hanoi) Publishing House, 2012.
- "The Management and Decentralization of Public Investment in Vietnam," background paper prepared under the request of the National Assembly's Committee of Economic Affairs, November 2012.
- "Macroeconomic Consequences of Vietnam's Industrial Policy," Economy and Forecast Review, Vol. 19, October 2012, pp. 82-89.
- "Decentralization in Vietnam from Institutional Perspectives," background paper prepared under the request of the National Assembly's Committee of Economic Affairs, September 2012.
- With Martin Hayden (team leader) et al. "Master Plan for Vietnam's Higher Education System," prepared under the request by the Vietnam's Ministry of Education and Training, within the framework of the World Bank Second Higher Education Project (WB Credit VN4328), May 2012.
- "Restructuring of State-owned Enterprises in Vietnam," background paper prepared under the request of the National Assembly's Committee of Economic Affairs, April 2012.
- With Jonathan Pincus, Pham Duy Nghia, Ben Wilkinson, and Nguyen Xuan Thanh, "Structural Reform for Growth, Equity and National Sovereignty," Policy Discussion Paper Prepared for the Vietnam Executive Leadership Program, January 2012.
- With Phan Chanh Duong, Nguyen Van Son, Do Thien Anh Tuan, and Do Hoang Phuong, "The Mekong Delta: Regional Cooperation for Development and Competitiveness," Policy Discussion Paper Prepared for The Southwest (Mekong Delta) Steering Commission, October 2011.
- With Dwight H. Perkins, "Industrial Policy in Vietnam – From Industrial Policy to Industrial Development," background paper for Vietnam's Ten-year Socio-Economic Strategy, Development Strategy Institute, Ministry of Planning and Investment, March 2011.
- "Building a Modern Central Bank for Vietnam," background paper prepared under the request of the National Assembly's Committee of Economic Affairs, May 2010.
- With Brian J.M. Quinn, "Farmers, Middlemen, and the New Rule of Law Movement," Third World Law Journal, Vol. 30, 2010, pp. 273-327.
- "Global Financial Crisis and Its Implications for Vietnam," in From Crisis to Restructuring, Ho Chi Minh City National University Publication, 2009, pp. 3-18.
- "Perceptions of impacts of and responses to the current global financial crisis by productive and manufacturing industries in Vietnam," UNIDO research paper, 2009.
- With Jonathan Pincus, "Vietnam: A Tiger in Turmoil," Far Eastern Economic Review, Vol. 171, No. 4, May 2008, pp. 28-34.
- "Reducing Budget Deficit to Recover Macroeconomic Stability," Journal of Legal Studies, Vol. 7, No. 123, May 2008, pp. 54-57.
- With Dwight H. Perkins, "Vietnam's Industrial Policy: Designing Policies for Sustainable Development," Prepared under UNDP – Harvard Policy Dialogue Papers "Series on Vietnam's WTO Accession and International Competitiveness Research," 2008.
- Co-author in the report by Vietnam Program (Harvard) and Fulbright School titled "Choosing Success: The Lessons of East and Southeast Asia and Vietnam's Future - A Policy Framework for Vietnam's Socioeconomic Development, 2011-2020," January 2008.
- With Kim N. B. Ninh, "Decentralization in Vietnam: Challenges and Policy Implications for Sustainable Economic Growth," The Asia Foundation research paper, 2008.
- With Le Viet Thai and Vo Tat Thang, "Provincial Extralegal Investment Incentives in the Context of Decentralization: Mutually Beneficial or the Race to the Bottom?" Prepared under United Nations Development Program Project No. 5088790-01, "UNDP-Vietnam Discussion Papers on Topics Relating to Decentralization and Economic Performance," 2006.
- With Dapice, David O. and Mazur, Eli, "Industrial Zones and Rural Development: Managing Decentralization in the Chu Lai Open Economic Zone." Prepared under United Nations Development Program Project No. 5088790-01, "UNDP-Vietnam Discussion Papers on Topics Relating to Decentralization and Economic Performance," 2006.
- With Brian Quinn, "The Market for Pomelos in the Mekong Delta." Prepared under United Nations Development Program Project No. 5088790-01, "UNDP-Vietnam Discussion Papers on Topics Relating to Decentralization and Economic Performance," 2006.
- "A Long March to Equitization," William Davidson Institute Policy Brief No. 33, Michigan University, April 2005.
- With Phan Thu Hoai, "Price Discrimination and Applications in Vietnamese Firms", in Annual Proceedings, Hanoi Business University, Hanoi, 2005.
Working Papers and Forthcoming
- "Industrialization, Reforms, and Industrial Hubs in Vietnam,"chapter 27 in The Oxford Handbook of Industrial Hubs and Economic Development, edited by Arkebe Oqubay and Justin Yifu Lin, Oxford University Press.
- With Dwight H. Perkins, "Understanding the Growth Performance of the Vietnamese Economy (1986-2018)," a chapter in Vietnam: State, Economy, Society in a Shifting Global Environment, edited by Dwight H. Perkins and Börje Ljunggren, Harvard University Press.
- "The Political Economy of Private Sector Development in Vietnam since Doi Moi," a chapter in Handbook of Contemporary Vietnam, edited by Jonathan London, Routledge.
- "Business Risks and Opportunities in Vietnam," in The Dynamics of the Business Environment in Asia, Palgrave Macmillan.
Book Translation Projects
- 2020: Acemoglu, Daron and James A. Robinson (2019). The Narrow Corridor. Penguin Press. (Vietnamese title: "Hành lang hẹp", the Tre Publishing House, forthcoming in 2020.)
- 2018: Thomas Piketty (2013). Capital in the Twenty-First Century. (Vietnamese version, the Tre Publishing House, forthcoming in 2020).
- 2012: Acemoglu, Daron and James A. Robinson (2012). Why Nations Fail: The Origins of Power, Prosperity, and Poverty. Crown Business. (Vietnamese title: "Tại sao các quốc gia thất bại: Nguồn gốc của quyền lực, thịnh vượng, và nghèo đói", the Tre Publishing House, 2013.)
- 2010: Steinfeld, Edward S. (2010). Playing Our Game: Why China's Rise Doesn't Threaten the West. New York: Oxford University Press. (Vietnamese title: "Chấp nhận cuộc chơi của chúng ta: Tại sao sự trỗi dậy của Trung Quốc không đe dọa phương Tây", forthcoming in 2013, the National Political Publishing House. Hanoi, Vietnam.)
- 2007: North, Douglass C. (1990). Institutions, Institutional Change, and Economic Performance. Cambridge University Press. (Vietnamese title: "Thể chế, thay đôi thể chế, và kết quả kinh tế." Course material of the Fulbright Economics Teaching Program).
- 2005: Thomson, William (2001). A Guide for the Young Economist: Writing and Speaking Effectively about Economics. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. (Vietnamese title: "Hướng dẫn dành cho các nhà kinh tế học trẻ: Viết và trình bày kinh tế học một cách hiệu quả." Reading material of the Fulbright Economics Teaching Program).
- 2004 - 2012: Lecturer, Microeconomics for Public Policy, Fulbright School
- 2006 - 2012: Lecturer, Public Finance, Fulbright School
- 2011 - 2012: Lecturer, Microeconomics of Regional and Local Development, Fulbright School
- 2009 - 2011: Lecturer, Research Methods for Public Policy Analysis, Fulbright School
- 2004 - 2009: Lecturer, Development Finance, Fulbright School
- 2005 - 2007: Lecturer, Globalization and Vietnam, Fulbright School
- 2004: TF, Principles of Macroeconomics, Boston College
- 2002 - 2003: TF, Principles of Microeconomics, Boston College
- 2003: Visiting Lecturer, Mathematical Economics with Mathematica, Peking University
- 2001 - 2002: TF, Preparatory Math Course for Graduate Students, Boston College
- 2002 – 2003: TA, Statistics for Economics, Boston College
- 2000 - 2001: TA, Microeconomic Theory (graduate courses), Boston College
- 1994 - 1998: Lecturer, Management, Hanoi Business University
High-Level Executive Courses
- Vietnam Executive Leadership Program, "Institutional Reform: From Vision to Reality," April 13-17, 2015, jointly held by the Vietnamese Government and Harvard Kennedy School, Cambridge, USA.
- Vietnam Executive Leadership Program, "Unplugging Institutional Bottlenecks to Restore Growth," August 26-30, 2013, jointly held by the Vietnamese Government and Harvard Kennedy School, Cambridge, USA.
- Vietnam Executive Leadership Program, "Structural Reform for Growth, Equity, and National Sovereignty" February 13-17, 2012, jointly held by the Vietnamese Government and Harvard Kennedy School, Cambridge, USA.
- Identification of Bottlenecks in Economic Growth of Vietnam, June 25-27, 2012, jointly held by the National Assembly's Committee of Economic Affairs and the United Nations Development Program, under the Project 00074812 "Support for Enhancing Capacity in Advising, Examining, and Overseeing Macroeconomic Policies," Nghe An, Vietnam.
- Vietnam Executive Leadership Program, "Beyond the Crisis: The Real Problems," November 2-6, 2009, jointly held by the Vietnamese Government and Harvard Kennedy School, Cambridge, USA.
- Vietnam Executive Leadership Program, "Choosing Success: The Lessons of East and Southeast Asia and Vietnam's Future," November 9-14, 2008, jointly held by the Vietnamese Government and Harvard Kennedy School, Cambridge, USA.
- The Vietnam Leaders in Development Program, July 2-4, 2008, jointly held by the Vietnamese Government and Harvard Kennedy School, Hanoi, Vietnam.
- Development Strategy for Mekong Delta Region, April 28-30, 2008, jointly held by Vietnam Chamber of Commerce and Industry – Can Tho and the Fulbright School, Phu Quoc, Vietnam.
- Development Strategy for the Central Focal Economic Region, May 2-4, 2008, jointly held by Quang Nam's People Committee and the Fulbright School, Hoi An, Vietnam.
Regular interviews with the national television channels (VTV1, VTV3, VTV9) and local television channels (HTV9, FBNC, Info TV).
Regular interviews with FT (Asia region), Reuters (Asia region), WSJ (Asia region), Saigon Economic Times, Tuoi Tre, Thanh Nien, VietnamNet, Phap Luat, Doanh nhan Sai Gon.
Articles in Newspapers and Magazines
Regular articles for Vietnam's newspapers and magazines, including Saigon Economic Times, Vietnam Economic Times, Vietnam Investment Review, Tuoi Tre, Doanh Nhan Sai Gon, Sai Gon Tiep Thi, Tien Phong, Vietnam Net among others.
POLICY ADVICE AND CONSULTANCY
- Member of Prime Minister's Economic Advisory Group.
- Advisor to the provincial government of Ho Chi Minh City, Quang Nam, Quang Ngai, Ninh Binh, An Giang, Dong Thap on their economic development strategy and policy.
- Consultancy work for WB, UNDP, UNIDO, USAID, DFID, AusAID, GTZ, The Asia Foundation, Vietnam Academy of Social Sciences, Ministry of Planning and Investment, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Education and Training.
2009 - Present: Founder, "Kangaroo Mother Care Group" at Tu Du Obstetrical Hospital (HCMC).
2002 - 2008: Founder, "Bong Lua Scholarship for Poor and Talented Students" (Vietnam).
1999 - 2004: Founder and board member, U.S. Study Guide for Vietnamese Students.