Topic: Overview of policy implementation
- Hill & Hupe (2014), Chapter 2.
- Thomas A. Birkland, An Introduction to the Policy Process: Theories, Concepts, and Models of Public Policy Making, Chapter 8 & 9.
Topic: Bottom-up and Top-down Implementation
- Hill & Hupe (2014), Chapter 3.
Topic: Implementing economic restructuring policies
- Nguyen Xuan Thanh, Ngân hàng thương mại Việt Nam: Từ những thay đổi về luật và chính sách giai đoạn 2006-2010 đến các sự kiện tái cơ cấu giai đoạn 2011-2015 (Vietnam Commercial Banks: From law and policy changes during 2006-2010 to restructuring during 2011-2015), Policy memo, October 2015.
- Vietnam Prime Minister, Decision 254/QĐ-TTg approving the project on "Restructuring the systems of credit institutions during 2011-2015", 1st March 2012.
Policy Implementation is part of the public management and leadership theme. The course starts with general knowledge in policy implementation, incorporating two sets of knowledge students obtain in MPP Program, which are (1) economics based policy planning & analysis and (ii) law and management based public governance and administration.
Policies might be misunderstood by administrators/public managers, inflicted with conflicting objectives, and poorly designed implementation process. In subsequent sessions, the course will interpret policies from administrators/implementors perspectives and evaluate the level of rigidity/flexibility in implementation process.
Similar to planning stages, implementation is subject to pressures from institutions and interest groups. Interest groups are motivated to affect the policies in their favor. Evaluating implementation environment and analyzing political, institutional, economic and social factors affecting policies being implemented are next topics.
During the course, students will examine theoretical and practical contexts of policy implementation in particular areas, for instance, state management of economy, society, service delivery contract, public-private partnership and implementation of planning.