- Overall introduction
- Course requirements
1. Daron Acemoglu, What makes a country rich? MIT 2009
2. Acemoglu: Chapter 1 (7-45).
Concept Of Public Governance, Formal and Informal Institutions
- Concept of Institution: Formal vs. Informal
- Public Governance vs. State Management
- The Cores of Public Governance
1. J Zhuang et al (2010)
2. Trần Văn Tùng (2011) Thể chế với sự thịnh vượng của quốc gia
1. ADB, The Role of Public Administration in Alleviating Poverty and Improving Governance, 2003.
By the end of the course, students will be able to:
* discuss concepts relating to institutional reforms and public governance, particularly to distinguish between "state management" based on totalitarian Soviet's state doctrine and good governance as required for modernizing the public institution in the country.
* be equipped with knowledge and skills to discuss factors essentially needed for building of good public governance at central and local levels.
* apply theory into work environment, analyze selected policy in order to enhance public participation in local policy formulation, increase business community participation in central policy formulation, and improve the effectiveness and efficiency of Vietnamese public governance.