Introduction: Law and Public Policy
- Expectation for the course
- Overall challenges of government and law
Case 1: Self-Appointed Professors, State-Appointed Professors.
Overall law and Methodologies
- Concepts of law, system of law, source of law
- Social function of law
- Theories to study law
* Pham Duy Nghia, pgs 9 - 42
* Milhaupt et al.: Introduction
* Randall Peerenboon, Research Study on Court Administration in China, UNDP-Judicial Reform Steering Committee, 2011 (unpublished document) – pg. 1-35
- Pham Duy Nghia, Methodology of legal studies, Chapter 2, Public Sercurity Publishing House, 2014
By completing this course, students will be better able to:
- Discuss the role of the legal system with regard to public policy, especially its contribution to the development of a strong and efficient country,
- Recognize the rules of the legislative procedure and the relationship between public policy and law shown in this procedure,
- Develop the points of view, necessary methods and skills to evaluate the quality of law relating to a concrete area of public policy such as assuring fair property law, freedom of contract, free competition, and setting up a transparent and accessible system to resolve conflicts in a lawful orderly manner.