Session 1. Course introduction and organization of learning process
- Expectation of the course
- Introduction to the course
- Division of group projects
Overview of new public management
○ Kamarck, Elaine (2007) "The Revolution in Governing", in The End of Government As We Know It, Chapter 1, pp. 1-13, Boulder: Lynne Reinner Publishers.
○ Kettl, Donald (1997) "The Global Revolution in Public Management: Driving Themes, Missing Links", Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, 16:3, pp. 446-462.
Session 2. Overview of Strategic Management Processes
- Case: Paying the Bills at the Junta of Andalucía.
- Moore, Mark (1995) "Managing for Value: Organizational Strategy for for-profit, non-profit and governmental organizations", Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 29:1, pp. 183-204.
- Leonard, Herman (2002) "A Short Note on Public Sector Strategy-Building."
By completing this course, participants will be better able to:
* Discuss the key concepts and processes of the new public management
* Recognize the opportunities and challenges encountered by the new public management
* Strategic planning for public sector
* Implementing strategic plan
* Develop strategies to be effective public managers
* Develop the techniques, methods, and skills needed to successfully implement these strategies to create public value.